Louise van den Berghe Cup
Louise van den Berghe, an excellent player who only discovered her real passion for golf at the age of 21, devoted nearly thirty years of her life to Belgian golf teams either as a player or as their Captain.
She also was a member of the Continental team that participated to the Vagliano Trophy (first at Gullane, then at Villa d'Este and afterwards as its Captain at Eindhoven and in Berkshire).
From its start in 1979, the Belgian International Juniors Tournament includes a trophy donated by her and bearing her name.
Since 1984 she also presents a trophy bearing her name and awarded to the best Belgian female player.
Louise van den Berghe's achievements include the following :
- Belgian Championship winner in 1968, 1970 and 1972
- "Omnium" prize winner in 1977 and 1978
- Mixed Foursome winner with Eddy Carbonnelle in 1961
- Ladies Foursome winner with Mrs Jean Sirtaine in 1955 and 1957
- Spanish International prize winner in 1961
- Captain of the Belgian Ladies National Team during 21 years from 1959 till 1980, including an unexpected come-back as Playing Captain at the 1988 European Championship at Waterloo.
One of the best results of the Belgian team was achieved at the 1966 Mexico World Championship where it obtained a fourth place.
The team players included Corinne Reybroeck, Arlette Jacquet, Louise van den Berghe and their Captain, Mrs Chaudoir.
Mrs van den Berghe still is a member of another European team that plays in the Senior Women's Invitation Match, which has a format similar to the Ryder Cup and where European Senior Women tackle their American counterparts.